Friday, July 6, 2012

A New School Year and A Fresh Start: Mrs. Hainey's Class Is A Drama Free Zone

I didn't realize how long it had been since I last updated this blog!  It was a tough year, and I did a lot of venting in my posts, but this year I am determined to do things differently!  I had such a difficult year that I decided I don't really like teaching preschool.  I don't know whether it was the group of kids I had, the staff I worked with, the program itself, or the stress going on in my personal life that make me dislike teaching that grade level.  I'm sure it was a combination of all of them.  Regardless of the reason, I asked my principal to transfer to me back to kindergarten.  I love teaching kindergarten so much, and I know I was good at it.  As luck would have it, a kindergarten position opened up, but my principal decided to interview for the position anyways.  She told me that she would keep the people she interviewed in mind for the preschool position and she'd let me know.  I know she's already hired someone, and she hasn't gotten back to me yet.  This leads me to believe that I will be stuck in pre-k again.  At  first I was upset about this, but then I realized a few things.  First, I don't know for sure where she's going to place me because she simply hasn't told me.  It seems likely that I'll be in pre-k, but I'll just have to wait and see.  Second, I became a teacher because I love children and want to make a difference in there lives.  I cannot make a positive impact on them if I am angry about having to teach them.  Third, if I don't like teaching pre-k, I can always look for another position next year.  I need to do my best and fix the things that I did wrong last year in order to see if I like that grade level or not.  Last year was such a disaster that I really shouldn't judge whether I like it or not according to my last experience. 

I've never been a very negative person.  I try to stay out of drama, and find the good in a situation.  Last year I seemed to be immersed in the drama, sometimes creating it myself.  I also found myself viewing things with a negative attitude before I gave them a chance.  This year I am going to try to get back to my positive self.  I am going to make a bracelet that reminds me to be patient and kind.  I am going to try to have a yell free classroom, and I am going to try not to complain as much.  Last year I did so much complaining that my co-workers and friends and probably sick of me!

I have already started planning for next year.  I have submitted a donors choose project that will be useful in either kindergarten or preschool.  I haven't gotten many donations, but I'm hoping that as the school year approaches I will get more help.  I am asking for more audio books and some personal cd players.  My children will benefit from these items because they will be able to listen to books on their own levels and find a quiet comfortable spot to listen and read.  I am really excited about this project!
http://www.donorschoose.org/donors/search.html?keywords=learning+to+listen+and+read&state=SC&community=55%3A1

One bit of possible good news is that my very good friend RP interviewed for a position at my school.  I am really hoping she gets the position.  She and I went through undergrad together, student taught together, supported each other during our first job interviews, and even started grad school together.  She is a brilliant woman who ALWAYS finds the sparkle of good in a bad situation.  I need someone like her around to help me stay on track and focus on my goals.  It will be great to have RP and MP at school to share laughter, frustration, and success with.

This coming school year is going to be different. I don't know if it will be better, or worse, but I will do my best and I will remain positive.

No comments:

Post a Comment