Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Goodbye George and Gloria!

This week we started a new science unit on animals.  The first week of the unit teaches students about guppies and goldfish.  I went to the store and spend a ridiculous amount of my very own money to buy all of the necessary supplies, including the fish.  I bought all of these supplies on Saturday and set them up in my living room.  I bought two goldfish, and four guppies.  Let's just say that only two fish made it to work on Monday morning.  The guppies just didn't make it.  I believe I rushed the setup and the water just wasn't good for the poor fish.  So, Monday morning I took my fish tanks and fish to work and set them up before the students got there.  I was very excited!  Not only was it new fish day, it was also Valentine's day.  When the kids arrived at school they were so happy and excited to see our fish!  They checked on them frequently and named them George, and Gloria.  By the middle of the day I could tell that George and Gloria were not feeling well.  They were swimming kinda crooked and sideways.  I just knew that they weren't going to make it through the night.  The following morning, poor Gloria and George were floating at the top of the tank.   I laughed out loud when I saw them because I just couldn't believe that I had killed six fish in a matter of three days!  My students trickled in slowly that morning.  I told one student who then spread the news to the rest of the students.  Throughout the day I think they told EVERYONE in the school that George and Gloria had died.  Some of them were really sad.  Our favorite teacher Ms. D. told the kids that the fish were in a better place now.  One of the kids responded by saying, "No, Mrs. Hainey put them down the toilet".  I just love those guys!  After the kids left I emptied the tank and refilled it.  It's been running for a few days now and tomorrow it will be the home for two new goldfish and three guppies (assuming they make it through the night!)

No comments:

Post a Comment