Thursday, January 13, 2011

My Very First Kindergarteners

I will never forget the first day I spent with students.  I was a bundle of nerves.  College does not prepare you for what you should do your first day, or how caotic dismissal time will be.  I had met the school's queen of negativity and she warned me about the type of students I would be getting.  She assured me that I had never worked with students "like these".  I tried to ignore her and stay positive.  I had worked with poor and very needy children and families before, how different could these kids be?  Even though I was staying positive I was still nervous.  My students trickled in that day and I began to get to know them.  I had some cryers, some talkers, and even some tantrumers, but by the end of the day I fell in love with every single one of them.  My students can be very challenging, but I cannot imagine having a better group of kids for my first year teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment